• 5+ years experience as a product manager
• Experience working on viral growth, referral programs, invite flows, guild mechanics, social commerce, or other sharing-based growth strategies
• Track record of building and launching innovative products that drove business growth
• Strong creative skills - you can come up with and test experimental product features that go beyond iterative or obvious improvements to the product
• Past success analyzing data, drawing accurate conclusions, and adjusting strategy accordingly
• Technical depth that allows you to communicate with, understand, and earn the respect of world-class engineers and data scientists
About the Job
We’re looking for a Senior Product Manager to lead new Social Commerce initiatives on our Growth Team.
For context, Hopper is the most downloaded travel booking app in North America, with over 60M installs to date and $423M raised. We did well over $1B in sales last year and weathered COVID with triple-digit revenue growth thanks to our proprietary suite of data-driven fintech products.
Our team is focused on accelerating Hopper’s user growth, which until now has been primarily through high-volume paid advertising. Now, we’re looking to build new products in our app that will help us activate, retain and acquire new users at scale. We’ll create a wide range of new ways to earn discounts and lower prices by sharing Hopper with friends, through features like a referral program, discount gifting, earning when friends spend, and group discounts.
Ultimately, our objective is to add a multiplayer layer to all of the single-player features we have built so far. We aren’t starting from scratch - 60% of our installs are organic, coming mostly from word-of-mouth. That said, we have the opportunity to turn this sharing activity into our largest driver of user growth and build a growth loop that will accelerate over time.
- Manage Hopper's referral program end-to-end, and build new features that make Hopper better with friends
- Build new products around live promotions, rewards and gamification to help activate and retain users
- Manage a Product Growth roadmap for a set of features from inception through implementation and analysis: collect requirements, establish key performance metrics, craft the user experience, drive execution, and report on the impact
- Collaborate closely with data science to dive deep into our data to understand our users
- Work with business leaders to help shape business cases, including return-on-investment analyses for new product initiatives
- Partner with design to ideate and wireframe new features that will be in the hands of millions of users across the globe
- Pare down an ideal feature to the minimum viable product: identify what's essential for us to know if this is a good idea, what's not, and how we can limit cost and risk
- Understand complex technical issues, discern impact, and be able to explain the situation to maximize clarity and drive resolution
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k (US) or Retirement Savings Plan (Canada)
More about Hopper
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!