At Loblaw Digital, we know that our customers expect the best from us. Whether that means building the best, most innovative online shopping experiences, or designing an app that will impact the lives of people across the country, we’re up for the challenge. Loblaw Digital is the team responsible for building and operating the online businesses of Canada’s largest and most successful retailer. Based in downtown Toronto, we are an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and collaborative team working towards transforming the way Canadians shop by creating leading eCommerce experiences in the online grocery shopping, beauty, pharmacy, loyalty, and apparel spaces, and we’re only just getting started! To achieve these goals, we are looking for talented and passionate individuals who want to collaborate and solve challenging problems and make significant and lasting impact on Canadians.
The impact you’ll make
As a Backend Developer; you will be working with other members on the Software Development team, and you will have an experienced and knowledgeable Team Lead to guide you. You will have exposure to every aspect of the software development cycle, and you will be encouraged to express your opinions and challenge assumptions. Working from our downtown office, you will report to the Engineering Manager and will assist in building, improving and maintaining a world-class, multi-channel e-commerce/digital platforms. This is a rare opportunity to build new technology that will operate at a massive scale and impact the lives of millions of Canadians.
What you'll do
- Cultivate a deep understanding of the portfolio of applications we utilize, along with their respective strengths and weaknesses, to provide solutions to existing and future challenges.
- Solve complex technical problems in situations with no clear best path
- Lead the design of software components to enhance our portfolio.
- Construct design documents and documentation to aid in maintenance and code reuse.
- Through your knowledge of industry trends and tools, together with your own experiences, work with the team to improve our software, our environment, and our process.
- Provide guidance and direction to the development teams to tear down obstacles and keep initiatives on target and moving forward.
- Translate project goals and product roadmaps into organized technical tasks.
- Organize, prioritize, and manage multiple projects and multiple stakeholders simultaneously.
- Provide technical guidance and support in resolving critical issues.
- Help mentor and upskill team members
- Offer your input and expertise to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Deliver high-quality code along with applicable unit and integration tests
Does this Sound like you?
- You are a proficient API developer with at-least 7 years of software development experience
- Java 8+, Spring Boot, Junit, Gradle
- Docker, Kubernetes, Helm, GCP
- GitLab, GitLab CI, SonarQube
- Solid experience building and maintaining RESTful APIs
- Strong understanding of systems and microservices design
- Strong understanding of security architecture
- Some understanding of cloud architecture in GCP
- CI/CD experience (GitLab IC, Jenkins, Team City)
- You are opinionated about what it takes to produce great software but remain receptive to other's ideas.
- You have developed large applications in a team environment.
- experience with Cache (redis) and messaging system (Kafka/ pub sub ) is a plus!
How you’ll succeed
At Loblaw Digital, we seek great people to continually strengthen our culture. We believe great people model our values, are authentic, build trust and make connections. We’re able to keep innovating because our colleagues are passionate about their work and excited about the future of eCommerce. You will get to work with some of the best digital minds and will have the support of world class technologies to craft products our customers will love!
Loblaw Digital recognizes Canada's diversity as a source of national pride and strength. We have made it a priority to reflect our nation’s evolving diversity in the products we sell, the people we hire, and the culture we create in our organization. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired. In addition, we believe that compliance with laws is about doing the right thing. Upholding the law is part of our Code of Conduct – it reinforces what our customers and stakeholders expect of us.