About the job
At Hopper, we’re on a mission to build the most customer-centric travel company on earth. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing mobile first travel marketplace - one that enables our customers to save money and travel better.
As we scale our business, customer trust, and conversely customer fraud and abuse, become more and more important both as a growing cost and as a headwind to customer lifetime value. In order to better protect our customers and prevent fraud, we need to build and optimize the tools. We are looking for an individual excited by the challenge of working with a new team to build and scale these solutions.
As a member of the Fraud Prevention Team, you’ll be contributing to the efforts to help minimize the impact of fraud on our business. You will be responsible for integrating our 3rd party fraud detection tools across the platform, improving their accuracy through data analysis and eventually building new customer facing solutions to provide better account security.
- Ship your first code in days, iterating on features in an Agile manner leveraging Scala and GCP technologies
- Build robust and performant infrastructure that supports millions of dollars of revenue
- Make important architectural decisions about core backend systems
- Collaborate with a diverse group of people, giving and receiving feedback for growth
- Execute on big opportunities, helping Hopper rise to the top of the travel industry
- 4+ years experience thriving in backend engineering positions
- A strong understanding of distributed systems and how architectural decisions affect performance and maintainability
- A strong understanding of site reliability and operations
- A passionate focus on quality, writing testable code that performs and scales
- Close collaboration with software engineers), product managers, data scientists, and designers to deliver rapid value to end-users
- Experience being a leader and mentoring your junior colleagues
- Backend experience with Scala, Google Cloud, Kubernetes
- Experience developing B2C mobile products with millions of MAU
- Experience in risk, fraud, or payments domain
More about Hopper
At Hopper, we are on a mission to become the world’s best — and most fun — place to book travel. By leveraging massive amounts of data, advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper combines its world-class travel agency offering with proprietary fintech products to help customers spend less and travel better. Ranked the third largest online travel agency in North America, the app has been downloaded nearly 80 million times and continues to gain market share globally.
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper sold around $4 billion in travel and travel fintech in 2022, up nearly 3X over 2021. In 2022, Hopper increased its revenue 2.5X year-over year.
- The company’s bespoke fintech products, such as Flight Disruption Guarantee and Price Freeze, now represent 30-40% of Hopper’s total app revenue.
- Given the success of its fintech products, Hopper launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud in late 2021. Through this partnership program, any travel provider (airlines, hotels, banks, travel agencies, etc.) can integrate and seamlessly distribute Hopper’s fintech or travel inventory. As its first Hopper Cloud partnership,
- Hopper partnered with Capital One to co-develop Capital One Travel, a new travel portal designed specifically for cardholders.
- Recognized as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company four years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 80 million times and continues to have millions of new installs each month.
- Hopper has raised over $700 million USD of private capital and is backed by some of the largest institutional investors and banks in the world. Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration as the world’s fastest-growing mobile-first travel marketplace.
Come take off with us!