At M-KOPA, We Finance Progress.
The scale and impact of our work is massive. M-KOPA is a fast-growing FinTech company offering millions of underbanked customers across Africa access to life-enhancing products and services. From our roots as the pioneer in pay-as-you-go “PayGo’” solar energy for off-grid homes, we have grown into one of the most advanced connected asset ﬁnancing platforms in the world, empowering a broad range of customers to achieve progress in their lives.
M-KOPA is now working to extend this connected asset financing expertise into the electric mobility space; with an initial focus on electric 2-wheelers. Your work will have massive impact both environmentally and in the financial independence it creates for our customers.
You will work closely with embedded engineers. You will use a variety of cell and battery pack models, fleet data, and laboratory test data to create feedback control and estimation algorithms for M-KOPA’s electric mobility battery management systems. Your projects will range from cell capacity, impedance, energy and degradation estimation to diagnostics of sensors, cells and battery pack components.
It is a fully remote role #LI-Remote, within the following time zone (UTC -1 / UTC+3). You will be reporting to the Head of Embedded Engineering.
About this role:
- First and foremost, we are looking for someone who is excited about what we do. You don’t need to be an expert in FinTech but you are keen to learn and apply our company’s values
- As a Senior Battery Algorithms Data Scientist, you will be developing and pioneering algorithms to remotely assess battery performance and safety in electric mobility vehicles, starting with 2-wheelers: State of Charge and State of Health, among others
- Reconciling battery usage data with other vehicle telemetry such as location, speed, and driving behaviour
- Validating and iterating algorithms to improve their accuracy and reliability
- Applying advanced techniques such as machine learning to maximize the insights from telemetry collected
You’re excited about this opportunity because:
- You will be working with an enthusiastic team focused on accelerating the transition to electric mobility in Africa
- Your work will have impact on our customers’ livelihood by achieve progress in their lives through technology and financing accessibility
- Demonstrating team spirit is important to you
We’re excited about you because:
- You have at least 4 years of commercial experience with battery algorithm design
- You have experience with modelling lithium-ion cells
- You understand the importance of well communicated concept with partners
- Expertise in battery management system design and battery pack engineering will be beneficial
What’s in it for you:
- We can offer full FTC or Consultancy contract
- Initial 6 months with possibility to be extended to 12 months
- Day rate is negotiable depending on contract type
- You must have rights to work full time without sponsorship to apply for this role. We will ask you to provide us with proof of your rights to work during the recruitment process
M-KOPA is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
M-KOPA does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.