We are seeking a Controller to run our internal accounting department and bridge finance to operations. The position reports directly to the Global Corporate Controller and directs and prioritizes the workload of the internal team (including but not limited to accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, reporting, taxes and internal controls). You will have exposure to all levels of the organization and must be a strategic-minded person who is also able to be very hands-on and highly focused on the details. Automating, optimizing and scaling with efficiency is always non-negotiable for you because building a world-class finance function is always your ultimate goal. You identify as someone who believes in getting their hands dirty and building scalable processes to ensure success for the team.
- Oversee the entire accounting department, including being the architect of its future needs
- Managing and overseeing the daily operations of the accounting department, as well as, monthly, quarterly & annual close processes
- Take ownership of GAAP figures for statutory reporting and bridging while also understanding the financial performance of the company
- Establish proper accounting methods, policies and principles for a fast close
- Onboard all new verticals or products to the accounting reporting structure
- Run diagnostics and design process improvements to financial cycles (closing, A/P, A/R systems use, etc)
- Understand and build a control environment in line with the Company’s aspiration of being SOX/52-109 compliant while keeping a business speed-first mindset
- Owner of complex accounting issues, US GAAP standards, M&A transactions, equity, intercompany transactions, tax estimates, revenue recognition, etc.
- Maintain and assess performance review of staff as well as invest in improving staff knowledge base
- Be the owner of tax matters and liaison to all tax professionals used by Hopper (Canada, US, Transfer Pricing, SR&ED, Payroll, Commodity, International affairs)
- Beyond being a good accountant, we are looking for a builder who has strong analytical skills and is the best at finding solutions and answers!
- A proven track record of having grown a finance team and working in a fast-paced international finance department
- Loves a challenge and thrives on making improvements
- People management skills – great people make everyone around them better
- Believes that open honest transparent communication is key to a great team
- Accounting ERP experience (ideally with NetSuite) and has previously played with configuration and performed set-up
- CPA Certification or equivalent
- Excellent communication skills in English
- French and Spanish would be an asset
MORE ABOUT HOPPER
At Hopper, we are on a mission to become the world’s best — and most fun — place to book travel. By leveraging massive amounts of data, advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper combines its world-class travel agency offering with proprietary fintech products to help customers spend less and travel better. Ranked the third largest online travel agency in North America, the app has been downloaded nearly 80 million times and continues to gain market share globally.
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper sold around $4 billion in travel and travel fintech in 2022, up nearly 3X over 2021. In 2022, Hopper increased its revenue 2.5X year-over year.
- The company’s bespoke fintech products, such as Flight Disruption Guarantee and Price Freeze, now represent 30-40% of Hopper’s total app revenue.
- Given the success of its fintech products, Hopper launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud in late 2021. Through this partnership program, any travel provider (airlines, hotels, banks, travel agencies, etc.) can integrate and seamlessly distribute Hopper’s fintech or travel inventory. As its first Hopper Cloud partnership,
- Hopper partnered with Capital One to co-develop Capital One Travel, a new travel portal designed specifically for cardholders.
- Recognized as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company four years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 80 million times and continues to have millions of new installs each month.
- Hopper has raised over $700 million USD of private capital and is backed by some of the largest institutional investors and banks in the world. Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration as the world’s fastest-growing mobile-first travel marketplace.
Come take off with us!