Hopper's Disruption Team is looking for a Senior Software Developer to develop and scale financial products that provide customers with peace of mind while traveling. The team focuses on creating services that power millions of users in the Hopper app, as well as millions more users across various other travel portals. As a Senior Software Developer, you will play a big role in driving one of Hopper's most profitable businesses. You will work on developing novel solutions to problems such as real-time risk calculations and pricing for disruption protection, developing and launching new experimental disruption products or iterations on existing products, working on localization efforts to make products resonate worldwide, and more.
- 5+ years of experience in backend development positions and delivering user experiences at scale
- A strong understanding of distributed systems and how architectural decisions affect performance and maintainability
- A passionate focus on quality, writing testable code that performs and scales
- Backend experience with Scala (or other JVM language), Google Cloud (or another cloud), Kubernetes
- Experience working with gRPC/Protobuf
- Functional programming experience
- Experience developing for millions of MAU
- Experience in fintech and/or travel
- Ship your first code in days, iterating on features in an Agile manner
- Build robust and performant infrastructure that supports millions of dollars of revenue
- Solve complex technical and software architecture problems
- Leverage and contribute to a rich microservice architecture system
- Collaborate with a diverse group of people, giving and receiving feedback for growth
- Execute on big opportunities, helping Hopper rise to the top of the travel industry
More about Hopper
At Hopper, we are on a mission to become the world’s best — and most fun — place to book travel. By leveraging massive amounts of data, advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper combines its world-class travel agency offering with proprietary fintech products to help customers spend less and travel better. Ranked the third largest online travel agency in North America, the app has been downloaded nearly 80 million times and continues to gain market share globally.
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper sold around $4 billion in travel and travel fintech in 2022, up nearly 3X over 2021. In 2022, Hopper increased its revenue 2.5X year-over year.
- The company’s bespoke fintech products, such as Flight Disruption Guarantee and Price Freeze, now represent 30-40% of Hopper’s total app revenue.
- Given the success of its fintech products, Hopper launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud in late 2021. Through this partnership program, any travel provider (airlines, hotels, banks, travel agencies, etc.) can integrate and seamlessly distribute Hopper’s fintech or travel inventory. As its first Hopper Cloud partnership,
- Hopper partnered with Capital One to co-develop Capital One Travel, a new travel portal designed specifically for cardholders.
- Recognized as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company four years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 80 million times and continues to have millions of new installs each month.
- Hopper has raised over $700 million USD of private capital and is backed by some of the largest institutional investors and banks in the world. Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration as the world’s fastest-growing mobile-first travel marketplace.
Come take off with us!