About the Job
A stellar opportunity to have a massive impact: join the growing team at a company continually redefining how people travel. As Senior Android Engineer, you will be directly responsible for many of the innovative features we’ll be working on. Whether it's collaborating with our outstanding design and product teams or helping our data science group, you'll work on bleeding-edge to personalize travel for our ever-expanding population of members.
In the Hopper Hotel Fintech team, we are constantly identifying unique opportunities to help our customers plan their stays better with planning tools like Price Freeze, which allow our customers to protect themselves against price increases as they plan their trip, helping them reduce some of the anxiety around travel planning.
As a mobile developer, you will obsess about UI and user experience. You will also move quickly and help us experiment and iterate fast. You will collaborate with developers, product managers, designers, data scientists and break down sophisticated problems into small pieces suitable for quick iterations.
What would your day-to-day look like:
- Build innovative consumer experiences on Android, setting standards for code quality and performance
- Focus on data-driven development: gather data by prototyping and experimentation to drive our product decision-making and influence how our products are built
- Not be afraid of doing some backend work when it's needed
- Collaborate with a team of talented engineers to develop innovative user experiences
- Quickly prototype new ideas and run experiments to identify features that users love
- Help evolve our mobile architecture to consistently improve development efficiency and quality
The ideal candidate has:
- Understanding of working with microservices at scale, familiarity with at least one server side stack (Scala or pure functional stacks preferred)
- Experience building multi-module Android apps is a big plus. Experience with MVVM/MVI is also a plus.
- Strong problem-solving skills, proven ability to translate ideas into code
- Track record of successful collaboration with technical and non-technical people
- Experience building prototypes, and taking a data driven approach to product development, testing, and iteration
- Obvious culture fit - winning attitude and strong communication skills
- Loves creating and building customer-focused products
- 5+ years professional experience in native Android development with Kotlin language
- Solid understanding of web development concepts - MVC, RESTful APIs, Microservice Architecture, Kotlin, Android SDK, Gradle
- Excelled in cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Mobile Developers, and other highly skilled specialists
- A passionate focus on quality, writing testable and maintainable code that performs and scales
Our tech stack:
- We have a microservice architecture with over 200+ services
- Mostly Scala on the backend with some Python and GoLang
- Our UIs are Mobile first: Swift on iOS and Kotlin on Android
- Unidirectional Dataflow & MVVM/MVI for mobile
- We host our services on Google Cloud
- We use things like HBase, Kafka, Pub/Sub, GCP Big Query, Cloud SQL, S3, Delos, RedisGKE (K8) , terraform
- We are driven by data so Amplitude, Big Query and Datadog will be your buddies
Perks of working with us:
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
More about Hopper
At Hopper, we are on a mission to become the world’s best — and most fun — place to book travel. By leveraging massive amounts of data, advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper combines its world-class travel agency offering with proprietary fintech products to help customers spend less and travel better. Ranked the third largest online travel agency in North America, the app has been downloaded nearly 80 million times and continues to gain market share globally.
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper sold around $4 billion in travel and travel fintech in 2022, up nearly 3X over 2021. In 2022, Hopper increased its revenue 2.5X year-over year.
- The company’s bespoke fintech products, such as Flight Disruption Guarantee and Price Freeze, now represent 30-40% of Hopper’s total app revenue.
- Given the success of its fintech products, Hopper launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud in late 2021. Through this partnership program, any travel provider (airlines, hotels, banks, travel agencies, etc.) can integrate and seamlessly distribute Hopper’s fintech or travel inventory. As its first Hopper Cloud partnership,
- Hopper partnered with Capital One to co-develop Capital One Travel, a new travel portal designed specifically for cardholders.
- Recognized as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company four years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 80 million times and continues to have millions of new installs each month.
- Hopper has raised over $700 million USD of private capital and is backed by some of the largest institutional investors and banks in the world. Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration as the world’s fastest-growing mobile-first travel marketplace.
Come take off with us!