At Loblaw Digital, we know that our customers expect the best from us. Whether that means building the best, most innovative online shopping experiences, or designing an app that will impact the lives of people across the country, we’re up for the challenge. Loblaw Digital is the team responsible for building and operating the online businesses of Canada’s largest and most successful retailer. Based in downtown Toronto, we are an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and collaborative team working towards transforming the way Canadians shop by creating leading eCommerce experiences in the online grocery shopping, beauty, pharmacy, loyalty, and apparel spaces, and we’re only just getting started! To achieve these goals, we are looking for talented and passionate individuals who want to collaborate and solve challenging problems and make significant and lasting impact on Canadians.
As a Staff Developer, you will be working closely with the development managers to help oversee the technology vision, software quality, and operational excellence. Partnering with the Engineering, you will define the technical metrics and outcomes for the teams to strive towards. Using your extensive knowledge and experience with web architecture, you will work with the other developers on those applications to further their growth and abilities.
What you'll do
- Help define and drive the technical vision for our web development teams focused on enhancing our customer experience
- Find ways to coach and level-up the technical skills of those developers using your knowledge and expertise
- Be the champion for the architecture of our web platform, ensuring we are following best-practices and avoiding as much technical debt as possible
- Look out and advocate for opportunities to improve our technical processes to enable the best performance out of our teams as possible
- Build strong relationships with developers and peer technologists in across the organization. Work collaboratively across practices, levels, and organizational structure to find the right solution. The solution of choice may be to reuse an existing enterprise standard, but it could also be to innovate our processes and technology
- Lead by example in building great software. Get hands-on with the code only at key moments, such as building a proof of concept, tackling a gnarly bug or feature, or a hotfix for a high-priority issue in the production environment
- Foster a culture of continuous inclusivity and improvement
Does this sound like you?
- You have 8+ years of first-hand knowledge and experience with a variety of web technologies (Java, Nodejs) and architectures, including legacy systems, cloud computing, high-demand operational settings, and microservices architectures. The breadth of your experience is more important than specific technologies.
- Strong expertise in GCP services (i.e. Cloud Services Platform, Google Kubernetes Engine, Compute Engine, Cloud Interconnect)
- You are a thought leader for innovation and will champion the optimization and maturing of technology practices in collaboration with key stakeholders.
- You excel at knowledge transfer, both inbound and outbound. You know what questions to ask when drilling down into unfamiliar technology. You can translate the implications of high-level constraints and decisions stakeholders verbally and in writing.
- You are comfortable making decisions in the face of ambiguity. Your technology choices, designs, and architectures use as much data as is practical from a variety of sources.
- You communicate clearly and effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences alike. You can present complicated solutions in a simple and logical way. Your diagrams are crisp and clean. Your documents are organized, clear, and concise.
- You’re passionate about building rock solid software and opinionated about what good looks like.
- You have a hunger to learn and are open to change, which is evident in your constant hunt to improve yourself, our team, and our products.
How you’ll succeed
At Loblaw Digital, we seek great people to continually strengthen our culture. We believe great people model our values, are authentic, build trust and make connections. We’re able to keep innovating because our colleagues are passionate about their work and excited about the future of eCommerce. You will get to work with some of the best digital minds and will have the support of world class technologies to craft products our customers will love!
Loblaw Digital recognizes Canada's diversity as a source of national pride and strength. We have made it a priority to reflect our nation’s evolving diversity in the products we sell, the people we hire, and the culture we create in our organization. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired. In addition, we believe that compliance with laws is about doing the right thing. Upholding the law is part of our Code of Conduct – it reinforces what our customers and stakeholders expect of us.