Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use cloud based platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
Diversity of people brings diversity of thought, and that is core to driving Xero’s mission. Supporting a culture of inclusion is something we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. A part of that is to support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. So, from the moment you begin your journey with Xero, we will constantly strive to ensure you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
How you’ll make an impact
You’ll work in collaboration with other Xeros to help create and deliver beautiful software to our customers, faster. You’ll undertake software application development on applications in our suite of Products (including new ones), contributing to new or improved experiences for our customers, internal and external. You’ll maintain the standard for engineering excellence at Xero, continuing to develop your knowledge and skills, and supporting your team members in building products together. You’ll contribute to our cross functional environment by working towards the same objectives, using modern principles and practices. You'll help build and manage software that solves engineering problems at scale. You will be enabled to seek clarity with technical complexities and be able to demonstrate smart ways to automate. You’ll be able to make data-driven decisions that will release value early to solve Xero customers' problems more effectively.
What you’ll do
- Create software - Care deeply about customer problems and technical excellence, produce robust high quality and scalable software. Relentlessly automate any manual processes. Contribute to technical solution designs that embrace a quality-first approach. Participate in code reviews.
- Test software - Design and automate testing activities that effectively reveal product quality across a range of risk areas and acceptance criteria. Collaborate with the team and understand their own responsibility for quality.
- Resolve issues - Triage and solve development and production issues, and be able to quickly track down the root cause. Communicate the impact of the problem to stakeholders in terms of business value, helping to set a priority for the resolution. Actively participate in incident responses.
- Engineering standards & frameworks - Maintain knowledge of Xero’s current and emerging engineering standards and practices. Develop and deploy software that meets Xero's standards.
- Continuous improvement - Maintain knowledge of current and emerging development technologies and methodologies. Develop expertise in one or more programming languages and ecosystem specific technologies.
- Deliver infrastructure in a production environment - Maintain and monitor delivery processes. Ensure all software is running as expected and proactively work to prevent customer facing problems.
- Modern software and delivery practices - Practice agile software development. Occasionally facilitate agile ceremonies. Proactively work to improve team processes.
How you’ll do it
- Live Xero’s vision and values - Keeps Xero’s vision and values at the forefront of decision-making and leadership. Communicates and helps others understand the importance of the vision and values. Translates the vision and values into day-to-day activities and behaviours.
- Communication skills - Communicates complex ideas skillfully and with nuance, and establishes alignment within the wider organization. Maintains awareness and understanding of the team's vision and strategy to help make better technical decisions.
- Build relationships - Builds and maintains trust and credibility with a wide range of internal stakeholders, and supporting teams from across Xero
- Growth mindset - Demonstrates that competency is not fixed but is enhanced through dedication and hard work. Can lead, coach and provide feedback to others on development plans.
- Innovation and delivery - Leads teams to innovate and deliver technology and solve customer problems through software.
- Coaching and mentorship - Role models best practice mentoring and coaching, encourages others to mentor each other and creates ways for them to do so.
- Evangelism - Promotes Xero as a great, innovative company and workplace to the wider industry.
- Work collaboratively - Empowers and promotes high performing teams.
- Self-learning - Maintains in-depth knowledge of advances and learnings in technologies relevant to Xero’s engineering environment.
What you’ll bring with you
- Proficient use of one or more programming languages and tools
- Has developed a specialisation in one or more specific technologies or areas of the development stack
- Ability to debug across a technology stack
- Confident in upgrading tooling and technology underlying products
- Proficient in roll out and maintenance of cloud infrastructure for team's products.
- Able to implement resilient software design patterns
- Able to maintain, update and document team APIs
- Familiar with application and infrastructure security concerns and proactively mitigates issues
- Regularly practices test driven and trunk based development
- Demonstrated ability to respond to production incidents
At Xero we embrace diversity and inclusion and value a #challenge mindset. Research has shown that women and underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single competency or experience . If you are excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be just the right person for a role at Xero. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at time of application and throughout the interview process.