At Loblaw Digital, we know that our customers expect the best from us. Whether that means building the best, most innovative online shopping experiences, or designing an app that will impact the lives of people across the country, we’re up for the challenge. Loblaw Digital is the team responsible for building and operating the online businesses of Canada’s largest and most successful retailer. Based in downtown Toronto, we are an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and collaborative team working towards transforming the way Canadians shop by creating leading eCommerce experiences in the online grocery shopping, beauty, pharmacy, loyalty, and apparel spaces, and we’re only just getting started! To achieve these goals, we are looking for talented and passionate individuals who want to collaborate and solve challenging problems and make significant and lasting impact on Canadians.
As a Senior Machine Learning Engineer on our Search team, you will use an abundance of data from the Loblaw enterprise in order to build solutions that power Search in our ecommerce platforms, creating a convenient and delightful experience for our customers.
You will work with stakeholders within Loblaw Digital to conceive Search products, and leverage your collective domain expertise to design business-logic guardrails around your model output. You will design experiments to measure the effectiveness of your solution in driving customer conversions and general value, through key business metrics such as add-to-cart rate and mean reciprocal rank.
What you’ll do
- Build robust, scalable, high-performance ML solutions based on massive structured and unstructured datasets from various sources
- Work with Engineering and Data Platform teams to build and deploy your ML models into production
- Work cross-functionally with business teams — Product, Trading, Marketing, Supply Chain, Web Analytics etc. — to source data, establish requirements, and define success
Does this sound like you?
- MS or PhD in a STEM field — especially computer science — or equivalent work experience in a Data Scientist or closely related role
- A portfolio including work in the domain of data science and ML
- Creative, resourceful, and productive problem-solver
- Able to work independently and collaboratively
- Passion for building ML solutions to fluid, open-ended problems
- Experience in software development best practices
- Comfortable with advanced SQL querying
- Proficient in Python and familiar with a compiled language
- Experience with big-data tools, e.g. Spark, Beam, Kafka.
- Experience with dataviz tools such as Tableau, Looker, etc.
How you’ll succeed
At Loblaw Digital, we seek great people to continually strengthen our culture. We believe great people model our values, are authentic, build trust and make connections. We’re able to keep innovating because our colleagues are passionate about their work and excited about the future of eCommerce. You will get to work with some of the best digital minds and will have the support of world class technologies to craft products our customers will love!
Loblaw Digital recognizes Canada's diversity as a source of national pride and strength. We have made it a priority to reflect our nation’s evolving diversity in the products we sell, the people we hire, and the culture we create in our organization. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired. In addition, we believe that compliance with laws is about doing the right thing. Upholding the law is part of our Code of Conduct – it reinforces what our customers and stakeholders expect of us.