Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use cloud based platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
Diversity of people brings diversity of thought, and that is core to driving Xero’s mission. Supporting a culture of inclusion is something we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. A part of that is to support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. So, from the moment you begin your journey with Xero, we will constantly strive to ensure you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
As a Software Developer will work as a member of the TaxCycle by Xero engineering team to help create quality tax software products. You’ll be part of a team that builds, maintains and owns services. You’ll lead the software development on applications in our suite of products (including new ones), contributing to new or improved experiences for our customers, internal and external.
You’ll contribute to the technical direction of the engineering group, helping grow our cross functional capability by identifying technical gaps, promoting capability growth, and championing & demonstrating modern engineering principles and practices.
You'll help build and manage software that solves engineering problems at scale. You will be enabled to seek clarity with technical complexities and be able to demonstrate smart ways to simplify. You’ll be able to make data-driven decisions that will release value early to solve Xero customers' problems more effectively.
We are looking for a passionate software developer and just as important as the technical experience is the ability to be #human and take ownership of your environment.
What you'll do
- Create software - Guide technical design to ensure implementation of architecture principles and good engineering practice. Identify the technical blockers and waste that slow down the team. Work with engineering leadership and delivery teams to identify technical capabilities that need to be grown. Maintain in-depth system knowledge across all system boundaries relating to the team’s components as well as hands-on development expertise.
- Test software - Guide the quality engineering practices for your team, identifying and resolving challenges to ensure processes and tools are optimized for their context and engineers have the required knowledge and skills. Contribute to and champion Xero’s quality strategy and standards.
- Resolve issues - Recognize and solve for common patterns of failure in the team’s delivery practices, preventing future issues by improving skills, processes or tooling. Measure the cost or value of issues, and often lead incident responses and post-mortems.
- Engineering standards & frameworks - Contribute to Xero's engineering standards and frameworks. Work closely with engineering leadership to apply standards to software and delivery processes.
- Continuous improvement - Proactively maintain, grow and share knowledge of development technologies used in the development of Xero’s software applications.
- Deliver infrastructure in a production environment - Champion automation of delivery processes and ensure deployment pipelines are fit for purpose. Coach and support engineers to ensure all software is running as expected and proactively work to prevent customer facing problems.
- Modern software and delivery practices - Be a proactive champion of agile and delivery practices who coaches and develops others in this space in order to ensure a consistent approach to ways of working.
- Participating in the development and documentation of key operational processes and checklists, and product specifications.
- Working cross functionally with the team to resolve escalated issues based on customer feedback, as needed.
What you'll bring with you
- You’re a full stack developer with 3-5 years experience. You don’t have to be an expert in everything, but having some core areas of expertise and a willingness to learn the rest is great!
- Automated testing frameworks and methodologies
- Collaborate with your teammates doing pair and mob programming
Nice to haves
- Continuous delivery and deployment pipelines (Azure DevOps, TeamCity, Spinnaker)
- Infrastructure as Code (Cloudformation, Terraform, Kotlin)
- Experience with Desktop Applications
At Xero we embrace diversity and inclusion and value a #challenge mindset. Research has shown that women and underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single competency or experience . If you are excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be just the right person for a role at Xero. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at time of application and throughout the interview process.