Who We Are
UnitedMasters is building a marketplace that connects artists, brands and fans - empowering artists to earn and grow. UnitedMasters has taken the bold step of building a music distribution service that, radically, puts artists first - disrupting the legacy music business by letting up-and-coming artists distribute their music directly to fans through streaming services while maintaining ownership of their master recording rights and up to 100% of royalties. Through the combination of UnitedMasters’ music distribution platform and its deep ties to brands, UnitedMasters enables independent artists and change-makers to grow and earn unlike any other platform.
The UnitedMasters team is made up of musicians, marketers, engineers, and storytellers with backgrounds from YouTube, SoundCloud, Pandora, Facebook, Uber, Dropbox, Complex, VICE, and more. We work hand in hand with the award-winning creative teams that forge those innovative partnerships at Translation (our in-house creative advertising agency).
We are looking for a content marketer to join UnitedMasters on a temporary basis!
What You'll Do
We are in search of a talented Content Marketing Manager with a strong focus on copywriting for both long-form articles and newsletters, as well as short-form social content (copywriting, caption writing, script writing etc). In this role, you will play a pivotal role in creating, managing, and optimizing content marketing strategies tailored to the music business, with a specific emphasis on sync licensing (paying artists to license their songs for commercial purposes) and artist empowerment. Your work will help drive brand awareness, engage our target audience, and generate leads for our sync marketplace, targeting music supervisors, producers and decision makers.
This role reports to the Sr. Product Marketing Manager, Brand.
- Competitive Audit: review other premium sync players’ email, blog and social marketing strategies and leverage learnings to inform a best-in-class approach.
- Content Strategy for Sync Licensing: Refine and execute a comprehensive content marketing strategy that aligns with UnitedMasters' mission and focuses on sync licensing within the music industry. Identify target audiences, key messaging, and content themes to promote our artists and music for synchronization opportunities.
- Copywriting Excellence: Showcase your exceptional copywriting skills by crafting compelling and persuasive content for both long-form thought leadership and short-form pieces. Write newsletters, articles, case studies, social media captions, and other content that resonates with our audience and drives new music briefs.
- Content Creation, Distribution and Promotion: Develop sync-related marketing collateral with support from a designer, including one-sheets and case studies to support the sales process. Utilize social media (focus on LinkedIn), email marketing, SEO, and paid advertising to promote content effectively. Collaborate with the product marketing team to create targeted promotional campaigns around artists and music suitable for sync.
- Content Calendar Management: Create and maintain a content calendar that ensures a consistent flow of content related to sync licensing. Plan content releases to coincide with music releases, industry events, and licensing opportunities.
- Audience Engagement in the Music Business: Actively engage with our community and music industry professionals by responding to comments, questions, and feedback on various content platforms (primarily LinkedIn).
- Performance Analysis in the Music Industry: Monitor and analyze the performance of content marketing efforts using analytics tools. Use data-driven insights to refine and improve content strategies continuously.
- Collaboration with Creative Teams: Collaborate closely with our creative teams to ensure that content aligns with the UnitedMasters vision and promotes our work effectively.
- Stay Updated in the Music Business: Stay current with industry trends, content marketing best practices, and emerging technologies within the music business to maintain a competitive edge.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Understanding and developing sensibility towards storytelling and conceptual writing in the tone of the UnitedMasters brand.
- Credibility in music journalism / review.
- Inspired approach to creative problem solving with a strong grasp of cultural trends and social codes.
- Ability to work with deadlines and be able to pivot, while paying attention to the quality of your work.
- Possess and encourage initiative, drive, energy, accountability, creativity and a hunger for growth.
- Work well as part of a team, with a range of people, but also be action-oriented as an individual (in other words: that entrepreneurial spirit!).
- The ability to demonstrate, evangelize, and live the core values of UnitedMasters.
- 2-4 years of professional experience in journalism, promotions, marketing, advertising or any creative or editorial environment that may substitute for formal training.
- Experience in music journalism and a portfolio of work that displays the ability to represent a powerful POV in culture across multiple channels.
- Proficiency in content management systems (CMS), and social media platforms.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with artists, creative teams, and cross-functional departments.
- Strong project management and organizational abilities.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Marketing and/or B2B experience
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, journalism, or a related field
- Proven experience in content marketing within the music industry
- Proficiency in SEO
About UnitedMasters, Inc.
UnitedMasters has over 1.5 million artists on its platform and is growing rapidly. Brands like Diageo, Ally, and ESPN come to UnitedMasters to partner with these artists and play a role in moving culture forward. In the past year, UnitedMasters subscribers have grown rapidly. With $170M raised to date and valued at $550M, UnitedMasters is backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Apple, Alphabet (aka Google), and Disney amongst others. Over the last year, UnitedMasters artists have used our platform to land sync deals with major brands including the NBA, ESPN, Overtime Elite, Bose, Warner Brother Studios and in the NBA video game 2k. These deals give them additional money for their work and increase their exposure.
Hourly Rate Hiring Range: $35-40 / hour
Our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry, and are one part of many compensation, benefits and other reward opportunities we provide (e.g. bonus, stock options, 401(k) match, etc.)
Individual pay rate decisions are based on a number of factors, including qualifications for the role, experience level, skillset, and balancing internal equity relative to peers at the company. We expect the majority of the candidates who are offered roles at our company to fall healthily throughout the range based on these factors.
The range above is for the expectations as laid out in the job description, however we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. If that ends up being the case, the updated salary range will be communicated with you as a candidate.
The salary range above is for the NY/CA. As a company, we have a location based strategy, which means the salary range could be lower or higher than this if the role is hired in another location.