At Loblaw Digital, we know that our customers expect the best from us. Whether that means building the best, most innovative online shopping experiences, or designing an app that will impact the lives of people across the country, we’re up for the challenge. Loblaw Digital is the team responsible for building and operating the online businesses of Canada’s largest and most successful retailer. Based in downtown Toronto, we are an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and collaborative team working towards transforming the way Canadians shop by creating leading eCommerce experiences in the online grocery shopping, beauty, pharmacy, loyalty, and apparel spaces, and we’re only just getting started! To achieve these goals, we are looking for talented and passionate individuals who want to collaborate and solve challenging problems and make significant and lasting impact on Canadians.
As a Search Platform Engineer, you'll join our Software Development team, benefiting from the mentorship of seasoned Senior Developers, Staff Developers, and Principal Engineers. You'll engage in the entire software development lifecycle, encouraged to voice your ideas and challenge assumptions. Working from our downtown office, you will report to the Engineering Manager, you will focus on delivering a feature-rich search experience utilizing Elasticsearch, ML models, vector search etc. Your responsibilities will include designing and implementing new features, enhancing existing functionality, and resolving issues. This opportunity allows you to create tools using cutting-edge technologies that operate at a massive scale, impacting millions of Canadians.
What You'll Do
- Design and implement ELK (ElasticSearch, Logstash and Kibana) stack solutions to deliver best in class retail search platform.
- Integrate ML/AI models to improve relevance, accuracy, and effectiveness of the search results.
- Create and manage Elasticsearch Clusters.
- Provide Elastic Search tuning/optimizing based on application needs.
- Create Dashboard on KPIs.
- Cultivate a deep understanding of the portfolio of applications we utilize, along with their respective strengths and weaknesses, to provide solutions to existing and future challenges.
- Solve complex technical problems in situations with no clear best path.
- Construct design documents and documentation to aid in maintenance and code reuse.
- Translate project goals and product roadmaps into organized technical tasks.
- Organize, prioritize, and manage multiple projects and multiple stakeholders simultaneously.
- Provide technical guidance and support in resolving critical issues.
- Help mentor and upskill team members.
- Offer your input and expertise to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Deliver high-quality code along with applicable unit and integration tests.
Does This Sound Like You?
- You are a proficient API developer with at-least 7 years of software development experience.
- Expert knowledge with the Elasticsearch platform - Ideally 3+ years
- of experience and someone who has built an enterprise level ES solution before, preferably more than once.
- Experience upgrading Elasticsearch versions.
- Expertise on ELK (Elasticsearch, Logstash and Kibana)
- Expert knowledge in Java, memory management, fine tuning etc.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast paced, team oriented.
- Java 8+, Spring Boot, Junit, Gradle
- Docker, Kubernetes, Helm, GCP
- GitLab, GitLab CI, SonarQube
- Solid experience building and maintaining RESTful APIs
- Experience with ML/AI based solutions.
- Experience with distributed systems and microservices design with TDD
- Familiar with cloud architecture (GCP Preferred)
- CI/CD experience (GitLab IC, Jenkins, Team City)
- You are opinionated about what it takes to produce great software but remain receptive to other's ideas.
- Experience with Cache (redis) and messaging system (Kafka/ pub sub) is a plus!
How you’ll succeed
At Loblaw Digital, we seek great people to continually strengthen our culture. We believe great people model our values, are authentic, build trust and make connections. We’re able to keep innovating because our colleagues are passionate about their work and excited about the future of eCommerce. You will get to work with some of the best digital minds and will have the support of world class technologies to craft products our customers will love!
Loblaw Digital recognizes Canada's diversity as a source of national pride and strength. We have made it a priority to reflect our nation’s evolving diversity in the products we sell, the people we hire, and the culture we create in our organization. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired. In addition, we believe that compliance with laws is about doing the right thing. Upholding the law is part of our Code of Conduct – it reinforces what our customers and stakeholders expect of us.