Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
How you’ll make an impact
As the Tax Director - EMEA & International, you’ll play a senior role in Xero’s tax team. Supported by the GM Tax, you will be responsible for the Group's UK and European tax positions. You will also support the GM Transfer Pricing and GM Payroll in relation to UK and EMEA transfer pricing and payroll tax matters. Outside of this, you will become the “go to” for OECD and international tax policy related matters (including Pillar Two) working closely with the GM Tax and GM Transfer Pricing. You will also manage various tax compliance and advisory matters for the wider Xero Group as required.
Leveraging your strong experience in managing global tax engagements, and demonstrated ability to manage relationships with key stakeholders (including external advisors), you will build strong relationships and become a trusted advisor to the business.
What you’ll do
Be responsible for Xero’s UK and EMEA tax compliance, including income tax and indirect taxes and work with the GM Tax to ensure that all Xero’s obligations within your region are met.
Supported by the GM Tax and GM Transfer Pricing, you will actively contribute to international tax related matters for the Group, this will include (but is not limited to) Pillar Two related workstreams.
Outside of the UK and EMEA, you will also be responsible for managing various aspects of the global tax function as agreed with the GM Tax. This could include ownership of tax for other Xero regions, business lines or global projects.
Provide support to the GM Transfer Pricing (as required) to ensure that all transfer pricing compliance matters are accurately reflected in income tax filings.
Support the GM Tax to define and lead strategies for the Tax team, to ensure regional and global needs are met.
Provide advice on the technical implications and consequences of business decisions and support decision making that reflects the need to balance commercial objectives and tax risks.
This will include regular engagement with leaders across the Xero business and members of the UK and EMEA senior leadership team Manage accurate and timely tax reporting for financial reporting purposes.
Engage with external stakeholders, including third party service providers, and be the key contact for Xero’s relationships with its UK & EMEA tax advisors.
Ensure the quality and accuracy of Xero’s tax policies, processes and governance and that documents produced conform to the highest standards of accuracy.
Embed efficiencies and improvements into the tax team’s recurring compliance processes. Mentor and support junior members of the tax team. Participate in significant corporate or company-wide finance projects and initiatives as directed by the CFO, EGM Centre of Excellence & Transformation, GM Tax or other members of the CFO leadership team
Success looks like
Quality, accuracy and timeliness of compliance work produced by the Tax team.
Provision of timely, accurate and meaningful tax advice on business matters as they arise.
Understanding the business, and building relationships at all levels across the business.
Enthusiasm to create a world-class tax function, including mentoring and developing members of your team to support career progression and opportunities to do the best work of their lives.
Lead and foster a positive working environment and culture throughout Xero that aligns with our Values and Xero Way.
Ability and desire to assist in broader areas as required
What you’ll bring with you - Competencies
- Ability to research and document relevant legislation and tax guidance
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy is essential
- Strong influencing, negotiating and stakeholder management skills with the ability to influence outside immediate remit
- Strong people leadership and management skills
- Strong planning, organizational and self-management skills with an ability to manage multiple competing priorities
- Embraces an 'Ownership' mindset and is focused on delivering results
- Exceptional communication skills, with ability to effectively run meetings with senior leaders across the Xero business
- A genuine team player who works collaboratively with and contributes to the function of a high performing team
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
What You'll Bring With You - Experience
- A large amount of demonstratable, relevant experience in UK and international tax tax, either in a large corporate or Big 4 CA environment
- Be either CA or CPA qualified or a law professional
- Strong & proven tax compliance background, including tax accounting and return preparation
- Detailed knowledge of UK tax legislation, and strong international tax experience
- Experience in managing and mentoring a team of tax professionals
- Experience with coaching and influencing executive-level leaders, supporting and advising on general commercial matters from a tax perspective
- Experience in contributing to and assisting in the execution of a global strategy
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package with benefits that support a range of lifestyle choices and requirements and the opportunity to participate in Xero’s success through our Long Term Incentive scheme. Xero has rapidly expanding offices in London, Milton Keynes and Manchester and our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a Stonewall Diversity Champion, and Disability Confident committed. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.