At Loblaw Digital, we know that our customers expect the best from us. Whether that means building the best, most innovative online shopping experiences, or designing an app that will impact the lives of people across the country, we’re up for the challenge. Loblaw Digital is the team responsible for building and operating the online businesses of Canada’s largest and most successful retailer. Based in downtown Toronto, we are an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and collaborative team working towards transforming the way Canadians shop by creating leading eCommerce experiences in the online grocery shopping, beauty, pharmacy, loyalty, and apparel spaces, and we’re only just getting started! To achieve these goals, we are looking for talented and passionate individuals who want to collaborate and solve challenging problems and make significant and lasting impact on Canadians.
The impact you'll make
As a Senior Developer; you will be working together with junior members on the Software Development team, leading large scale development projects and taking ownership of key system components. You will have exposure to every aspect of the software development cycle, and you will be collaborating with business stakeholders to innovate on dynamic solutions to drive value for our customers.
This is a hands-on role in the Retail Media Platform where you will develop the backend to the system that will allow internal and external users to create, manage and report on advertising campaigns.
What you'll do
- Cultivate a deep understanding of the portfolio of applications we use, along with their respective strengths and weaknesses, to provide solutions to existing and future challenges.
- Lead the design of software components to enhance our portfolio.
- Construct design documents and documentation to aid in maintenance and code reuse.
- Work with the team to improve our software, our environment, and our process; based on your knowledge of industry trends, tools, and your own experiences.
- Provide guidance and direction to the development teams to tear down obstacles and keep initiatives on target and moving forward.
- Coaching and Mentorship to junior developers.
- Translate project goals and product roadmaps into organized technical tasks.
- Organize, prioritize, and manage multiple projects and multiple stakeholders simultaneously.
- Provide technical guidance and support in resolving critical issues.
- Offer your input and expertise to technical and non-technical audiences.
Does this sound like you?
- You are a developer with mentorship experience and at least 6+ years of professional software development experience.
- You are opinionated about what it takes to produce great software, but remain receptive to other's ideas.
- You are committed to delivering code that works properly, and is thoroughly unit- and integration-tested.
- You care about ownership. You proactively seek out bugs and fix them. Occasionally, when bugs find you, you don't sweep them under the rug.
- You are experienced with software estimation, often confronted with complexity and uncertainty.
- You make decisions based on data. You are versed with tools to measure every aspect of the application.
- You have developed large applications in a team environment.
- You are not afraid of changes. Armed with excellent refactoring techniques, you work effectively with legacy code.
- You are a good communicator. You are able to present complicated solutions to non-technical audience in a simple and logical way.
- Java 8+, Spring Boot, Junit, Gradle
- Docker, Kubernetes, Helm, GCP
- GitLab, GitLab CI, Sonarqube
- Looking into Apigee, Ambassador
- Experience building and maintaining RESTful APIs;
- Strong understanding of systems and microservices design;
- Strong understanding of security architecture;
- Strong understanding of cloud architecture in GCP or similar cloud architecture such as Azure/AWS.
- CI/CD experience (GitLab IC, Jenkins, Team City).
Please note this role is located in downtown Toronto (Bathurst/Lakeshore) and will require the candidate to be in the office 3x a week.
How you’ll succeed
At Loblaw Digital, we seek great people to continually strengthen our culture. We believe great people model our values, are authentic, build trust and make connections. We’re able to keep innovating because our colleagues are passionate about their work and excited about the future of eCommerce. You will get to work with some of the best digital minds and will have the support of world class technologies to craft products our customers will love!
Loblaw Digital recognizes Canada's diversity as a source of national pride and strength. We have made it a priority to reflect our nation’s evolving diversity in the products we sell, the people we hire, and the culture we create in our organization. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired. In addition, we believe that compliance with laws is about doing the right thing. Upholding the law is part of our Code of Conduct – it reinforces what our customers and stakeholders expect of us.