Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
About the team
The AI Products group exists to collaboratively build products that use AI and ML to reduce toil and deliver the right insight at the right time. Working within the Data & Science team, you will join a diverse, globally distributed team of scientists, engineers, product managers, and analysts who help Xero turn data into beautiful, insightful products.
ML engineers design and build the infrastructure and services that power AI products that serve millions of customers every day. They also work closely with Applied Scientists through the research and development process to create harnesses and interfaces to safely take models from research to production environments. As a Staff ML Engineer, you will lead delivery programs and co-lead research programs that push the boundaries of what's possible with today's technology.
About the role
- Leading the design of our AI research and production infrastructure and services, ensuring that our services scale while preserving flexibility for research teams
- Owning our strategy for managing the growth rate of technical debt and costs across our stack
- Making sure we're solving the right problems with the right methods
- Sharing knowledge with colleagues and lifting the bar for the AI Products team
- Working with teams across Xero to improve the quality and usability of data
- Building Xero's profile in market through public facing content and events
- You have 5+ years of experience delivering ML and AI products at scale
- You are drawn to solving hard problems and understanding how things work
- You are comfortable learning new frameworks (distributed processing, ML, etc) and applying them to real problems
- You are willing to dive into the unknown, and allow new information to change your decisions
- Constant learning and growth are an important part of who you are
- You are always willing to learn from others and ask for help
What you'll bring with you
- Strong coding and system design skills in Python or another language used in web scale data and AI applications
- Strong SQL skills and understanding of distributed processing (data, ML, etc)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for communicating technical concepts to technical and business stakeholders
- Experience developing sensible standards and mentoring early career ML engineers
- Familiarity with Tensorflow is a nice to have
What we can offer you
- Employee Share Plan, alongside an additional 5 annual Leave days, PLUS bonus holiday Leave.
- Wellbeing leave, Parental and Partner Leave, Life Insurance and Private Health Insurance.
- Flexible working arrangements and weekly social events.
Diversity of people brings diversity of thought, and we like that. A collaborative and inclusive environment is important to us. Working at Xero will provide you with a diverse and inclusive environment alongside people who will respect, challenge and support you to have fun while you do the best work of your life. We are a place where personal development, innovation, and well-being are not just inspired but celebrated.
We value our people and offer a wide range of compelling benefits and perks, including Xero shares and great parental leave policies. Xero’s collaborative culture is underscored by our values - #Ownership, #Challenge, #Beautiful, #Human and #Team - which empower us to understand and serve customers, attract top talent and continuously innovate. From the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.