In the 1950s, breaking away from his day-to-day job designing furniture and accessories, George Nelson designed the Kirkpatrick House. With a wood and steel-frame structure, freestanding fireplace, brick walls, and large windows, it's as usable and beautiful today, as it was when first built. An early letter shared between Nelson and his client reveals the principle at the heart of this long-lasting piece: “We are not so much concerned about the appearance of the outside,” he writes, “as we are about the livability of the inside.”
Half a century later, we at Mercury are on a mission to build a product that people love on the inside, at least as much as on the outside. We’re a financial technology company that helps startups spend less time banking and more time building. We believe that the key to our success revolves around thoughtful design and we’re looking to hire the first staff product designer for our Risk Organization. As a staff designer, you’ll play a critical role in defining & designing best-in-class fraud, compliance, and risk tools and products.
Our design team consists of 30+ people who love to solve complex problems through design, but are equally passionate about cultivating, guiding, and inspiring each other through their work to foster a collaborative environment of experimentation and innovation.
What you’ll do at Mercury:
- Understand how our external and internal users interact with risk-related products and bring that understanding to your product team, to inform how our products get built.
- Lead design solutions that define the future of risk products at Mercury.
- Collaborate closely with product, engineering, and risk partners to craft a long-term vision and roadmap for your product area.
- Work across the entire design stack, including speccing projects, designing workflows, detailed interactions, and high-fidelity visuals, and ensuring quality implementation.
- Find elegant solutions to user problems and think critically from the user perspective.
- Simplify and cull design elements with a ruthless eye.
- Craft designs from first principles.
- Imbue mundane tasks and flows with a feeling of wonder.
- Prototype multiple visual and UX concepts and then narrow them to the right solution.
- Communicate the reasoning behind your product decisions and arrive at the most optimal solution together with your team.
You are the right fit if you:
- Have 8+ years of experience in the design industry.
- You have worked in the fields of risk, fraud, or compliance space (or other heavily regulated industries).
- Have experience collaborating with cross-functional partners to define product strategy.
- Are comfortable running different types of quantitative & qualitative research and can use it to inform product decisions.
- Have a strong understanding of when and how to use metrics to inform design and measure success.
- Have the ability to design whole systems, not just interface elements or static pages.
- Have experience and interest in the entire design stack, including UI/UX, visual design, and interaction design.
- Have experience building for a variety of form factors, including mobile and web.
- Understand when no design is the best design.
- Feel comfortable anticipating and designing for edge cases.
- Understand the balance between perfect design and getting to market.
- Exhibit kindness and humility in everyday interactions.
- Enjoy working with fellow designers of all levels.
The total rewards package at Mercury includes base salary, equity (stock options), and benefits.
Our salary and equity ranges are highly competitive within the SaaS and fintech industry and are updated regularly using the most reliable compensation survey data for our industry. New hire offers are made based on a candidate’s experience, expertise, geographic location, and internal pay equity relative to peers.
Our target new hire base salary ranges for this role are the following:
US employees (any location): $212,500–$250,000
Canadian employees (any location): CAD 193,400–227,500