Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use cloud based platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
Diversity of people brings diversity of thought, and that is core to driving Xero’s mission. Supporting a culture of inclusion is something we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. A part of that is to support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. So, from the moment you begin your journey with Xero, we will constantly strive to ensure you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
About the Role
Scalability is essential for our success and we need a passionate, experienced Senior Software Developer to work on our document management automation platform which processes millions of documents each month. Working in small scrum teams you will contribute to the technical leadership of the team through influence, leveraging your expertise and acting as a technical mentor in order to drive improvements and ensure we deliver exceptional software to our users.
Part of delivering robust and scalable services involves thinking about how to deploy and monitor them, you will help to create service health metrics, infrastructure code and provisioning tools.
You will be product and customer focused, working closely with other functions including sales, support and marketing. You will contribute to the technical leadership through your expertise and help influence process improvements, workflow and provide technical mentorship and coaching to other members of the team.
- 5+ years of experience designing and delivering scalable web applications and distributed systems
- 5+ years working with relational databases and SQL. You understand how to create and normalize schemas, write and optimize queries and have a working understanding of concepts such as indexing, replication, and views
- Demonstrated experience constructing and maintaining comprehensive automated testing suites - unit / integration / end-to-end / smoke tests, etc
- Hands-on experience working in message driven systems with RabbitMQ, Apache Kafka, ActiveMQ or others
- Experience working within one or more of the Agile methodologies
Nice to haves
- Cloud infrastructure provisioning, deployment and management on AWS or Azure using tools such as Chef, Puppet, Terraform and Ansible
- Automated build and deployments via CI/CD with TeamCity, Jenkins, GitHub Actions, Octopus Deploy or similar
- Monitoring and alerting with Datadog, New Relic or the ELK stack
At Xero we embrace diversity and inclusion and value a #challenge mindset. Research has shown that women and underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single competency or experience . If you are excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be just the right person for a role at Xero. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at time of application and throughout the interview process.
Please note that Xero's talent team will be on leave towards the end of December 2023 and into the new year. We will follow up on applications for this role as soon as possible upon our return in mid-January 2024. Happy holidays!