Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use cloud based platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
Diversity of people brings diversity of thought, and that is core to driving Xero’s mission. Supporting a culture of inclusion is something we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. A part of that is to support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. So, from the moment you begin your journey with Xero, we will constantly strive to ensure you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
Engineering @ Xero
We're hiring for multiple positions across Xero, with a focus on two key areas: Xero Product, where you will work to continuously improve the features of Xero software; Xero Platform, where you'll build and maintain critical applications and services consumed by teams throughout Xero globally.
We believe that a solid technical foundation and strong growth mindset are the keys to success in Software Engineering. You won’t find a long list of must-have tech requirements below!
While you don’t have to have worked with our tech stack previously, what is important is that you have relevant experience that will help you get started quickly, and you are happy to learn as you go.
Generally, if a team is creating a new code base, it may look like the following:
• A microservice, written in C# on .NET or a Node.js microservice written in Typescript
• Utilising a variety of AWS services
• Running in a Docker container, orchestrated by Kubernetes
• Accessed by SPA written in React with TypeScript
• Deployed with an automated CI/CD pipeline
• Monitored by industry leading monitoring, alerting, tracing, and logging tools
What we look for in a Xero Engineer:
• Self-awareness and growth mindset
• Openness to learning from failure
• Honesty, transparency and encouraging of feedback
• Teamwork, collaboration and mentorship
• Customer and product focus
• Commitment to supporting an inclusive culture and upholding Xero’s values
Life @ Xero
As an engineer at Xero, you’ll be joining us on our mission to be one of the most sustainably excellent software engineering companies in the world! You’ll have exposure to a variety of complex challenges at a global scale, whether it’s linking payments to different global markets, working on our world-renowned third party ecosystem or delivering solutions to small businesses around the world.
At Xero you will...
- Join an inclusive cross-functional team and collaborate with Product, Design and Engineering.
- Use the latest engineering and software delivery practices, at scale.
- Support your growth with various training and development resources, including the opportunity to become AWS certified.
- Get involved with the Xero Mentorship Program, our many communities of practice and Employee Resource Groups such as Rainbow X, Parents @ Xero, Neurodiversity @ Xero and many more.
What we offer...
- Employee Share Plan - own a part of Xero!
- Huge flexible leave policies, including "Xtra leave", wellbeing leave, and volunteering leave to help those in your community; as well as the option to purchase additional lifestyle leave.
- Expecting a little one or looking to adopt? - We offer 26 weeks parental leave payments, Xero 'top-ups' your base salary up to maximum of 100%. Available from your first day!
- Full subsidised health, life, income protection and trauma insurance for all permanent employees.
- Career Development - grow and develop your skills in exciting and challenging projects using latest tech, training budgets, gain knowledge from world class engineering leaders and peers.
- Heaps of other employee benefits, discounts, and perks in one place with our Xero Crew app.
At Xero we embrace diversity and inclusion and value a #challenge mindset. Research has shown that women and underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single competency or experience . If you are excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be just the right person for a role at Xero. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at time of application and throughout the interview process.
Please note that Xero's talent team will be on leave towards the end of December 2023 and into the new year. We will follow up on applications for this role as soon as possible upon our return in mid-January 2024. Happy holidays!