Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
About the team:
Platform Elements (previously PaaS) is a cross-functional agile infrastructure development team. We build platform products to enable Xero's development teams to build and ship software in a fast, reliable and secure manner. Platform Elements leverages modern cloud computing tooling and continuous integration practices. Through our customer-centric approach, we aim to reduce the cognitive load for Xero Product teams.
The Networks/ Connectivity Team's goal is to provide the end-to-end delivery of AWS networking for all teams through the use of APIs to ensure a secure, scalable and automated service. This includes AWS networking via Transit Gateways as well as modern L7 routing using Gloo Edge.
About the role:
As a Lead Engineer at Xero, you’ll work in collaboration with other Xeros to help create and deliver beautiful software to our customers, faster. You’ll model the standard for engineering excellence at Xero, supporting your team to grow their technical capability and improve development practices.
It is a hands-on, on-the-tools role and you’ll be the focal point where technical decisions meet strategic thinking. Day-to-day, you'll support the team by providing guidance and coaching around what great delivery, testing and performance practices look like. You'll have experience and knowledge of AWS products pertaining to Networking along with Terraform knowledge.
What you'll bring:
- Previous experience in a Lead Engineer/Technical Lead role (or similar); this will include the ability to make code design decisions, auditing codebases, and ensuring the team products meet Xero's various engineering standards.
- Strong technical skills with AWS products (pertaining to Cloud Networking) and Terraform.
- A curious mindset, you'll be keen to experiment with new languages and tooling; more importantly you'll know what good looks like, having experience of contributing to discussions around new standards and revisions to existing ones.
- Whilst this is a hands-on role, you'll still come with a passion for leading others. You'll be a champion for driving best practice, taking ownership for the technical leadership within your team; proven experience in coaching and mentoring engineers across multiple disciplines is a must!
What we offer...
- Employee Share Plan - own a part of Xero!
- Huge flexible leave policies, including "Xtra leave", wellbeing leave, and volunteering leave to help those in your community; as well as the option to purchase additional lifestyle leave.
- Expecting a little one or looking to adopt? - We offer 26 weeks parental leave payments, Xero 'top-ups' your base salary up to maximum of 100%. Available from your first day!
- Full subsidised health, life, income protection and trauma insurance for all permanent employees.
- Career Development - grow and develop your skills in exciting and challenging projects using latest tech, training budgets, gain knowledge from world class engineering leaders and peers.
- Heaps of other employee benefits, discounts, and perks in one place with our Xero Crew app.
Offering very generous paid leave to use however you’d like (plus statutory holidays!), dedicated paid leave to care for your physical and mental wellbeing as well as an Employee Assistance Program to access mental health care for you and your family, free medical insurance, wellbeing and sports programmes, employee resource groups, 26 weeks of paid parental leave for primary caregivers, an Employee Share Plan, beautiful offices, flexible working, career development, and many other benefits that reflect our human value, you’ll do the best work of your life at Xero.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. At Xero we embrace diversity and inclusion and value a #challenge mindset.
Research has shown that women and underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single competency or experience . If you are excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be just the right person for this role and Xero. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at time of application and throughout the interview process.
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.