At Loblaw Digital, we know that our customers expect the best from us. Whether that means building the best, most innovative online shopping experiences, or designing an app that will impact the lives of people across the country, we’re up for the challenge. Loblaw Digital is the team responsible for building and operating the online businesses of Canada’s largest and most successful retailer. Based in downtown Toronto, we are an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and collaborative team working towards transforming the way Canadians shop by creating leading eCommerce experiences in the online grocery shopping, beauty, pharmacy, loyalty, and apparel spaces, and we’re only just getting started! To achieve these goals, we are looking for talented and passionate individuals who want to collaborate and solve challenging problems and make significant and lasting impact on Canadians.
As a Senior Developer, you will be working with other members on the Software Development team. You will have exposure to every aspect of the software development cycle, and you will be encouraged to express your opinions and challenge assumptions. You will report to the Software Development Manager for this team and will assist in building, improving, and maintaining a world-class, multi-tenant eCommerce platform. This is a rare opportunity to build new technology that will operate at a massive scale and impact the lives of millions of Canadians.
**Please note, this role is Hybrid - 3 days in office and 2 days remote**
What You'll Do
- Work on one of the core domain services in our eCommerce platform, enabling seamless checkout, order submission, and order lifecycle management.
- Cultivate a deep understanding of the portfolio of applications we utilize, along with their respective strengths and weaknesses, to provide solutions to existing and future challenges.
- Design, develop, test, and maintain software that delivers exceptional shopping experiences.
- Construct design documents and documentation to aid in maintenance and code reuse.
- Work with the team to improve our software, our environment, and our process by leveraging your knowledge of industry trends, tools, and your own experiences.
- Provide guidance and direction to the development teams to tear down obstacles and keep initiatives on target and moving forward.
- Translate project goals and product roadmaps into organized technical tasks.
- Troubleshoot and resolve complex technical issues that may arise during development or in production environments.
- Guide and support junior developers, providing technical expertise and helping them grow professionally.
Does This Sound Like You?
- Extensive experience with Java, Kotlin or similar backend programming languages and cloud native microservices architecture
- Hands-on experience working with event-driven architecture and implementing solutions using this paradigm.
- Professional experience with GCP, AWS or Azure
- Experience working with RDMS & NoSQL databases at scale
- Strong familiarity with caching frameworks and tools like Redis, including an understanding of caching trade-offs such as cache invalidation and cache consistency.
- You have worked with observable systems that track important metrics, investigated and addressed issues with performance, scalability and maintainability
- You are a self-starter with a passion for building high-quality software, and thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Strong problem-solving and troubleshooting skills. Excellent communication and collaboration abilities
- You are opinionated about what it takes to produce great software but remain receptive to others ideas.
- You care about ownership. You proactively seek out bugs and fix them. Occasionally, when bugs find you, you don't sweep them under the rug.
- You are experienced with software estimation, often confronted with complexity and uncertainty.
- You make decisions based on data. You are versed with tools to measure every aspect of the application.
- You have worked on large applications in a team environment.
- You are a good communicator. You are able to present complicated solutions to non-technical audiences in a simple and logical way.
How you’ll succeed
At Loblaw Digital, we seek great people to continually strengthen our culture. We believe great people model our values, are authentic, build trust and make connections. We’re able to keep innovating because our colleagues are passionate about their work and excited about the future of eCommerce. You will get to work with some of the best digital minds and will have the support of world class technologies to craft products our customers will love!
If you are unsure whether your experience matches every requirement above, we encourage you to apply anyway. We are looking for varied perspectives which include diverse experiences that we can add to our team.
We have a long-standing focus on diversity, equity and inclusion because we know it will make our company a better place to work and shop. We are committed to creating accessible environments for our colleagues, candidates and customers. Requests for accommodation due to a disability (which may be visible or invisible, temporary or permanent) can be made at any stage of application and employment. We encourage candidates to make their accommodation needs known so that we can provide equitable opportunities.