Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
How you’ll make an impact
As GM - UK Products, you will shape our holistic Xero UK product strategy. You and your team will also build and define Xero’s UK payroll products. You will ensure the right things are built at the right time and through doing so you’ll contribute to Xero achieving its goals, particularly Xero’s ongoing strategy to accelerate growth globally. By seizing key opportunities for your portfolio in terms of new product offerings & segments, you will generate competitive advantage and enable the division to grow faster.
As the senior Xero product leader at Xero UK, you will be a core member of Xero UK’s Senior Leadership team, along with team members from the sales, marketing, finance, operations and human resource functions. You will report into the Executive GM, Connected Workplaces & UK Products.
With a global business, you will lead a multidisciplinary and cross functional team around the world with high levels of complexity, ambiguity, dependencies and/or stakeholder management. People leadership of experienced product leaders and their teams is a significant part of the role.
What you’ll do
- Work cross-functionally to define Xero’s UK product strategy and roadmap.
-Build and define Xero’s UK payroll product strategy.
- Regularly review this strategy, updating it to reflect changes in Xero’s overall strategy, market changes, and lessons learned from customers and initiatives.
- Define, own and communicate the product roadmap and prioritization (including development of business cases) to best determine how to service customer needs.
-Work with Strategy, Product Marketing, Data, and research teams and drive user and competitive research to uncover customer needs and new product value propositions in line with Xero’s vision and commercial goals.
- Be accountable for the commercial success of the products you and your team create and manage, including achieving financial targets with close collaboration with our Marketing, Sales, Product Marketing and Customer Success.
- In collaboration with Design and Product teams, transform product ideas into actionable concepts, timelines, and projects while maintaining a serious consideration of the financial implications, marketing needs, and the overall objectives of the business.
- Support major commercial, stakeholder, and customer engagements as appropriate.
- Partner with Engineering & Architecture, Design, Marketing, Regions, Sales and Customer Experience to execute on your product roadmaps and business objectives. People Leadership You will enable your team to do the best work of their lives.
- Coach and/or lead (including both solid and dotted line management) leaders within Product streams, ensuring a performing and highly engaged cohesive UK regional Product leadership team.
- Provide team leadership, shaping the team vision, culture, product team scope and ways of working.
- Effectively communicating and cascading information appropriately to ensure teams are engaged and are connected to strategy.
- Actively engage with your team members to help with their career planning, provide ongoing coaching & feedback, and support their growth and development into larger roles over time.
- Recruit new Xero's as required, ensuring team members are high quality, contribute to Xero's culture, and are on-boarded effectively. -Manage team compliance with Xero policies, processes and requirements.
- Role model exemplary leadership by developing leadership capabilities and upholding our Xero values.
- Create and nurture a psychologically safe environment for people to experiment and learn.
Success looks like
- You have strong relationships with your stakeholders who are engaged and have a thorough understanding of your vision, strategy and roadmap.
- Your team members are able to see the big picture and connect their work and their team’s to strategy.
- You lead and enable your product leadership team to produce accessible, transparent, prioritized and well executed roadmaps, which focuses on value to Xero and our customers.
- You are an effective coach, asking the important questions, listening and having the real conversations.
- You support your team to remove barriers and ensure timely decisions are made.
- You build inclusive, resilient and psychologically safe teams.
- You collaborate to create alignment across Xero with other product areas and key stakeholders.
- You demonstrate and amplify Xero’s Values.
What you’ll bring with you - Critical Competencies
- Ownership mindset and comfort with ambiguity and complexity
- Deep product insights and business acumen
- Ability to go technically deep with engineering teams
- Exceptional leadership skills
- Ability to hire, coach, grow and retain top product management talent
- Ability to work cross functionally
What you’ll bring with you - Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Extensive experience in product management leadership
- Experience driving product strategy for highly complicated and competitive products
- Demonstrated track record of proven impactful launches that have have financial impact
- Experience with Scrum/Agile, A/B Testing, Iterative product development
- Demonstrated track record managing high performing product and influencing engineering teams to outperform.
Offering very generous paid leave to use however you’d like (plus statutory holidays!), dedicated paid leave to care for your physical and mental wellbeing as well as an Employee Assistance Program to access mental health care for you and your family, private medical insurance, gym passes, employee resource groups, 26 weeks of paid parental leave for primary caregivers, an Employee Share Plan, beautiful offices, flexible working, and many other benefits that reflect our human value, you’ll do the best work of your life at Xero.
We are proud to have been recognised for UK’s Best Workplaces™ for Women 2022, UK’s Best Workplaces™ in Tech 2022, and named one of the UK’s Best Workplaces™ 2022 (Great Place To Work).
We pride ourselves in understanding our employees’ experiences, ensuring we hone in on particular focus areas including equity, representation, fairness and promotion of shared parental leave, whilst actively promoting women in the workplace. At Xero we embrace diversity and inclusion and value a #challenge mindset.
Research has shown that women and underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single competency or experience . If you are excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be just the right person for this role and Xero. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at time of application and throughout the interview process.